These past few weeks have been some of the most incredible days of my life. They have been full of preparation, the closeness of family – both near and far. acts of kindness and randomness. Invention and new ways of thinking. and also some frustration and uncertainty. These are days I will not forget for the rest of my life and I imagine you will not as well.
While a lot of our daily life has changed and we are all doing our parts to help flatten the curve of this illness. not everything has to stop. It may change a little, but we will learn new ways to be a scout and to participate in our scouting tradition, even if we are scouting from home…
Below are scouting resources to be used as you want. Maybe you need a break from schoolwork at home or from your Moms or Dads, or your brothers or sisters (let’s face it…social distancing sometimes is hard). Come here and find something fun to do. this will be a mixture of live online events (pack meetings) and advancement work or just some get out and hike with the family challenges.
Marn Council Bingo Card Challenge (click to enlarge)
- Tigers – TIGER BITES – 4/6-4/12
- Wolves – PAWS ON THE PATH – 4/6-4/12
- Bears – BEAR CLAW – 4/6-4/12 (parent supervision needed)
- Webelos 1 – Date TBA – 4/6-4/12
- Webelos 2 – Arrow of Light part 2 (date TBA) 4/6-4/12
April Fun Activity Challenges
- Hiking Challenges
- 5 days in a Row Hiking Challenge – go for a hike of any distance every day for 5 days – record your hikes in the scouting app
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 mile challenge – Go on a family hike for each distance – record your hikes in the scouting app
- Downtown Mill Valley to the Mountain Home Inn – Hike up from MV to the inn….If you go back down, its called a double mountain home. Record your distance in the scouting app
- Home Economics Challenge – when your grandparents went to school, they had a class called home economics, where they learned how to do things in the house – how to cook, how to sew and much more. Try these challenges and help your parents around the house. Its fun learning new skills!
- THE DISHWASHER – clean the dishes and load the dishwasher for 7 days in the month of April
- WISHY_WASHY – Help with the laundry. either bring all the laundry to the laundry room and sort the dirty clothes by colors OR neatly fold freshly dried clothes – do this 7 times in the month of April.
- HOUSE CLEANING CHALLENGE – Participate in a full family house cleaning party 1 day a week for April. One week you must be the leader.
- THE FRIENDLY LABORER – Choose one home improvement project (with the blessings of your parent)
- Plan it
- Make a material list
- Ask a parent to help you get the materials
- Enlist members of your family to help in different ways (delegate)
- Execute the project.
- make a birdhouse,
- Paint a wall
- plant some flowers
- change the lightbulbs
- Exercise challenge – Make up an exercise routine and do it every day for 10 days
During this time of isolation, social interaction is missing from all our lives. Our friends and neighbors all need help throughout these hard times. It’s a perfect time for scouts to do a good deed and perform a service project for our community.
- WRITE A LETTER TO THE REDWOODS – More than ever, Scouts can play an important role in our community by helping others. At the April Pack meeting (via Zoom on April 1), we announced a program to send letters to seniors who are currently sheltered-in-place at the Redwoods with no visitors allowed. The Redwoods would like handwritten letters with hand-drawn pictures. You can write the letters and seal them into an envelope and leave them at scout hall – I will put out a cardboard letterbox to collect letters in on the Mountainview side – hike by and drop a letter off. Bring a smile to a senior!! Add your name and you pack #
- SEW A MASK FOR HEALTHCARE WORKERS. There are not enough masks around for all the doctors and nurses who need them. They need our help!! There are all sorts of ways to make masks. you can fold bandana, you can sew scraps of fabric. you can cut vacuum bags. Find a fun way to make masks to share with hospitals
Live Scouting Events
- APRIL 16th – Bear Den Meeting – online Whittling Chip Course – A PARENT MUST ASSIST
- APRIL 27th – Online (zoom) Campfire program !!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ we’ll see how it goes. Den leaders, I will be asking for content.
- May 6th, May Pack meeting.
- Other Den meetings to be announced shortly.